Paddle Prattle

A Public Forum For Paddle Related Discussion

Provided by The Monocacy Canoe Club

The message board is provided by the Monocacy Canoe Club (MCC) as a service to the paddling community. It is offered as an open communications forum. Some posts may offer useful information, others are best ignored, and others may fall somewhere in between. Most posts are personal opinions -- don't rely on them as "fact". Please visit the Paddle Prattle Policy FAQ link below for more information about this message board.

[MCC Main Page]..[MCC Cruise Schedule]..[MCC Smoke Signals]..[Paddle Prattle Policy FAQ]..[Email to Admin]

Paddle Prattle

Post a reply || Back to Paddle Prattle

Re: Epic Swim -- We ran this a few years back at slightly

Delete this post Submitted by dgg on 26/Mar/2012 in reply to Epic Swim posted by Jonathan on 25/Mar/2012

lower water and remains one of my favorite all time runs especially since we were running it totally blind. We had also car scouted the river but once on the river I couldn't remember anything I had seen from the car.

I distinctly remembering that if you swam at near the top of a rapid you might not survive because the rapids were very long and continuous and I didn't think I could have swum into an eddy and I didn't think anyone could pull you into an eddy quiclkly enough. Bottom line, swim and there's a good chance you will flush drown.

Looks to me like (except for missing a roll) they did the right things considering the conditions--this river is faster and more powerful than the Upper Gauley with longer rapids and a lot fewer eddies. It's much easier to rescue someone in Lost Paddle which has numerous eddies, than in most of the rapids of the EF of SF of the Salmon.

While I'm certain that Mike did not "plan to swim",fortunately, he had the good sense to "plan for a swim". Without the full drysuit he would have been in real trouble.

Replies to this post

Reply to this post

Name:

E-mail (optional):

Subject:

Insert styled text: Bold | Italic | Underlined
Disable styled text

Insert smileys (Opens a new window)
Disable smileys