A Public Forum For Paddle Related Discussion
Provided by The Monocacy Canoe Club
The message board is provided by the Monocacy Canoe Club (MCC) as a
service to the paddling community. It is offered as an open communications
forum. Some posts may offer useful information, others are best ignored,
and others may fall somewhere in between.
Most posts are personal opinions -- don't rely on them as "fact". Please visit
the Paddle Prattle Policy FAQ link below for more information about this message
[MCC Main Page]..[MCC Cruise Schedule]..[MCC Smoke Signals]..[Paddle Prattle Policy FAQ]..[Email to Admin]
Post a reply ||
Back to Paddle Prattle
Went exploring today
Submitted by Steve Burstein on 21/Feb/2012 in reply to Re: Chutes Thursday?- game plan posted by PSA on 21/Feb/2012
1) Anglers is open for about 5 or 6 spaces. Access to the river is not blocked for foot traffic. Either park in the neighborhoods and carry to the river or shuttle with some one, drop your gear off and the passenger, and go find a parking spot in the neighbor hoods.
2) Investigated Carderock - lower parking lot nearest the 495 bridge. One great takeout. If you look across the field, the last sign downstream from the pavillion has a set of crappy steps to the river, the path to the river is a couple of hundred feet. If you look right there is a large pile of boulders for about 50 feet, very little verticle maybe a 1 foot climb. There is an Island upstream about mid river, this set of boulders is about 200 yards down stream at the end on a class 1 chute. After you run the chute take a sharp left into a huge eddy.
3) Upper Parking lot at Carderock - nothing reasonable for put in or takeout
4) To get to the chutes from MD park at MD GF, walk down to Sandy Beach, and take out at Anglers or carderock depending where your shuttle car parked
or put in at Va GF park and either attain backup to the GW Canal river right, just below wet bottom.
5) You can also set up bike shuttles on the MD side if you are by yourself
6) Or do Pucks suggestion if you feel like carrying your gear 2 miles, probably closer to 2.5 miles since the parking lot is a 1/4 mile above difficult run.
Replies to this post
Reply to this post
Powered by Free PHP message board 1.3 from PHPJunkYard - Free PHP scripts